[MCOH-EH] Hazardous Medication list

Waite, Starla swaite at childrensomaha.org
Mon Mar 19 09:45:16 PDT 2018

Hello Everyone,
We are currently working on this and would value any input:

In light of NIOSH's updated Hazardous Medication list and more medications being categorized with "Pregnancy Precautions," especially methotrexate, we would like some information on how other organizations are handling the following:

  *   For medications with Pregnancy Precautions, such as methotrexate or bosentan, do you restrict pregnant staff from caring for the patient or only from handling the medication?
     *   Does this restriction differ for nurses vs. other staff such as Occupational or Physical Therapists? Respiratory Therapy?
     *   Does this restriction also include women who are breastfeeding and attempting to get pregnant and men who are attempting to conceive with their partner?
     *   If pregnant staff can care for these patients, do they need to wear PPE?
  *   How do you alert staff that a patient is receiving a "pregnancy precautions" medication?
  *   Are there any restrictions for outpatient staff caring for these patients when they come into an outpatient area?
     *   If yes, how do you alert staff that they are receiving these medications?

Thank you in advance for your response!
Starla Waite RN
Employee Health Supervisor

Children's Hospital & Medical Center
8200 Dodge Street * Omaha, NE 68114-4113
402.955.6021 * 402.955.6025 FAX
swaite at ChildrensOmaha.org

We know children. * ChildrensOmaha.org<http://www.childrensomaha.org/>