[MCOH-EH] Ergonomic recommendation

Labreche, Manon mlabreche at tgh.org
Thu May 3 06:10:40 PDT 2018

1)      Tampa general Hospital does not outsource for ergonomics. An injury prevention coordinator/OT with ergonomics certification provides individual workstation evaluations. Departments are responsible for purchasing recommended equipment as budget permits.

2)      We also have an ergonomic committee to enhance collaboration between IT, design, facilities, employee health to standardize ergonomics for new construction and problem solve current challenging areas as it pertains to ergonomics.

3)      We are also starting a unit peer leader program  to help spread the knowledge of ergonomics.  This program will be called: ERGO COACH and this program has been accepted as part of our clinical ladder program and we are offering incentives.  This will help spread proper ergonomics especially at the 15 off site locations.  Staff will meet quarterly for 90 minutes and will be required to educate staff on their unit.

4)       Regarding education, Cardinus was evaluated and had appropriate content. However, we believed we could provide better services internally.

5)      Sit-stands conversions are purchased at manager's discretion, as budget allows. We have 3 different models we recommend from ergotron, each has advantages and disadvantages which is why the injury prevention coordinator MUST evaluate which model will best suit the need of the employee based on current desk configuration, employee height, job functions, space and work flow.

a.       They are widely accepted to improve productivity, comfort and decrease the risk of musculoskeletal injuries.  We have over 250 sit/stand conversions at TGH.

b.      They are mostly implemented in areas where employees are at the workstation more than 4 hours.

c.       We are moving away from conversion sit/stands and trying to recommend more sit/stand desks/tables from Ergocentric and are working in our ergonomic committee to make these tables as part of new construction for all workstations where employees sit for more than 6 hours.  We have successfully installed sit/stand tables in our lab, IT, radiology and at certain workstations.  We would like to convert all reception areas to sit/stand tables moving forward with new construction.

6)      Here is the contact for our injury prevention coordinator.

a.       Raina Brautigam, OTR/L, CHT, CEAS, rbrautigam at tgh.org<mailto:rbrautigam at tgh.org>