[MCOH-EH] Alcohol Testing

Maxwell Barb Barb.Maxwell at HCAHealthcare.com
Fri May 11 12:30:44 PDT 2018

Please see comments below.

[GoldBlueGreen (2)]
Barb Maxwell RN, MHA, COHN-S, CCM, CWCP, QRP, FAAOHN
Division Director Company Care
Occupational Health Services
HCA - West Florida Division
Phone: (727) 528-5932
Fax: (727) 528-5933
Cell: (727) 560-7252
"Our greatest asset is the customer! Treat each customer as if they are the only one!"

[Logo3][http://connect.medcity.net/documents/15752384/45877034/HR+logo+medium.png/f20c9083-0048-4a77-98b8-325068499aa9?version=1.0&t=1412284636457]

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of its attachments, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or contact the sender at the number listed

From: MCOH-EH <mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net> On Behalf Of Palfrey, John
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 1:20 PM
To: 'mcoh-eh at mylist.net' <mcoh-eh at mylist.net>
Subject: {EXTERNAL} [MCOH-EH] Alcohol Testing

List,
For reasonable suspicion (non-DOT) testing, our practice has been to do breath alcohol testing using a calibrated and accuracy checked, evidential device operated by BAT certified staff. Our process mirrors DOT breath alcohol testing.   Recently, the question of why we don't do blood alcohol testing has been asked.  I would be interested to hear what others are doing:

*        Breath alcohol testing?
[Barb Maxwell] We perform these throughout my Division for the facilities that have the instrumentation.  We have certified BAT's as well.  I teach the DOT approved course and mandate all collectors are certified.  It is non invasion and based on Henry's Law (scientific method) breath testing is just as accurate as blood.

Henry's Law establishes a definite ratio between the amount of a volatile (alcohol) in a liquid solution (blood) and the concentration of that volatile in the vapors over the solution (breath)
Henry's Law can be applied to the relationship between the amount of alcohol in the blood and the amount of alcohol in the deep lung breath

*        Blood alcohol testing?
Only in sites that do not have the Breath alcohol instrumentation.

*        Both?
Thank you

        John Palfrey, PA-C
        Director of OHS
        HCI Occ Health
        774-552-6108
        www.capecodhealth.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.CapeCodHealth.org&d=DwMFAg&c=9fZnZOgPWmHmvevlab4V4DSjtBMjorSlbQYfK_MauDg&r=4on-WDkYk9wnlqMlymD12pIhxD12in8u_9oWjvNPFmI&m=NB925bqVzhZYGAraqX6FngdfJ4UixZMGQEzyGNMezwI&s=XuGGvARHJjkXo6sRuYC7E1n-aLHNWRCOa2meBdxOD8Y&e=>

[Cape Cod Healthcare]
        Expert physicians. Quality hospitals. Superior care.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error contact the Help Desk for Cape Cod Healthcare.

Helpdesk at CapeCodHealth.org<mailto:Helpdesk at CapeCodHealth.org>