[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: #ExtMail# Re: guidance for hand dermatitis in operating room staff

Beining, Jennifer R. Jennifer.Beining at ohiohealth.com
Fri Jun 8 08:21:33 PDT 2018

For my institution, the culprit was the hand sanitizing foam (Steris Brand).  About 2% of our population has a reaction to it - not enough to switch out the product.  The general instructions to staff are to use the hand cream that the company makes in addition to the hand sanitizer, and to wash hands with soap and water when it makes more sense (in addition to regular requirements).

We have a few people who need to use an alternative hand sanitizer (we use Kim-Clark Kleenex brand).  A handful of people have true allergies and are sent for allergy testing, as it is often more than one product causing the problems.

We use Esteem/Neu-Thera powder-free nitrile gloves with relatively few complaints.  The staff who have problems are those with multiple allergies.

Thank you to those who have shared.  It took us a lot of time to research alternative products, and it is nice to know which have been successful in the wider occ health community.

Jennifer Beining, MSN, JD, RN, COHN-S, NE-BC
OhioHealth Employer Services
Phone: 614-566-4917
Jennifer.Beining at OhioHealth.com<mailto:Jennifer.Beining at OhioHealth.com>
OhioHealth.com/EmployerServices