[MCOH-EH] Reporting structures for occupational health?

Timothy Herrick herrickt at ohsu.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:08:37 PDT 2018

We are called Occupational health but our practice is restricted to employee health.  Our reporting structure has varied somewhat but at present we report to hr.  I am not sure that we are happy with this arrangement, as there is little understanding for the medical aspects of how we do our job, and there is not a lot of leverage we are able to bring to bear in terms of enhancing compliance.  One idea that we like is to have occ health, infection control and environmental safety represented at the institutional level by a vice president for safety but we aren't gaining a lot of traction for this idea

Tim Herrick, MD, MS
Medical Director, occupational health
OHSU
Portland OR