[MCOH-EH] Reporting structures for occupational health?

Kate Miller kemiller at stcharleshealthcare.org
Tue Jun 12 10:56:03 PDT 2018

Currently we report to the Safety Manager.
We have had 5 leadership changes in 6 ½ years under 4 departments. I started with the Safety department which was under the VP of HR, then Safety was moved under Quality and Caregiver Health was left under HR. Honestly that was not a good situation as they had no clinical background and didn't really know what we did, what was regulatory and what the priorities should be. Then we were moved under Infection Prevention, another learning curve for the leadership but at least there was clinical experience however the emphasis on injuries was all but excluded from our  work and there was no value to the work that was being done. Now we are back in the Safety department however they have more than tripled in size and the current manager has no experience with employee health, more teaching to do.
It sounds like in this organization and many others there is always a struggle for where Employee Health belongs and how big the scope of practice is.

I personally would like to have more of a clinic setting with a provider where we could not only give immunizations but also see people for minor injuries/first aid etc. We can keep up on compliance with immunizations, TB testing and fit testing while also providing a much wanted service. Our County offices has a similar clinic where their employees and the families can be seen for no charge. They manage the work comp claims and modified work along with lowering the use of the health plan. It seems to be working well for them and keeps their health insurance costs down.

Kate Miller, RN
Caregiver Health Nurse
541-706-4771 (office) 541-706-2694 (fax)
kemiller at stcharleshealthcare.org

St. Charles Health System 2500 NE Neff Road Bend OR 97701 www.stcharleshealthcare.org

"I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh"  Maya Angelou