[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: Incompletely Vaccinated HepB & Immunity Titers

Lanzi, Maria Maria.Lanzi at va.gov
Wed Jul 11 05:05:55 PDT 2018

Good morning,

You raise good points.   And most of us would follow our clinical judgement, but the issue becomes more complicated in post-exposure prophylaxis.
In summary:
The latest CDC MMWR released January 12, 2018 states that without 3 documented doses long term immunity cannot be ensured as vaccine induced HbsAb wane over time.
Given the fact that most of us deal with the issues as you stated below on a daily basis, it has become a clinical judgement decision and clinicians operate differently.    Since Hep B vaccine is cell-mediated immunity, a rapid antibody response in a potential positive exposure is critical. The titer on pre-hire testing is valid, just unable to ensure if it would be long term.   If a needlestick occurs  later in time (say 10 years after pre-hire), the possibility of a negative HbsAb would complicate the clinical decision process.

For those “ancient HCP” like myself, having received the original pooled blood vaccine, some of us think it may have given us “longer and better” protection than the current recombinant vaccine – although with a higher risk of adverse reactions.   I have found  no studies to support this theory.   There was also, for many years, the thought that those HCP in higher risk categories (ie surgeons) should be tittered on a periodic basis.   While that is no longer recommended, again, many clinicians use clinical judgement.   One must also keep in mind that since 1994 when Hep B vaccine became universally recommended, that the overall risk  of contracting Hep B in certain age groups has decreased.

A very complicated topic with multiple approaches to interpretation.  Best practice is to ensure 3 documented appropriately administered doses with a positive titer 4-6 weeks after last dose.

Maria

Maria C. Lanzi, MS, MPH, ANP-BC, COHN-S, CTH
Nurse Practitioner/Program Coordinator
Employee Occupational Health
Corporal Michael J Crescenz Veterans Affairs Medical Center
3900Woodland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Work:  215 823 5800 x 2592
Fax:  215 823 5968