[MCOH-EH] UDS due to missing meds.

fldocstu at aol.com fldocstu at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 07:22:59 PDT 2018

Good morning all.  Wanted to get opinions.

Scenario:  A Hydrocodone is found to not have been given to a patient.  The nurse said that the patient was sedated at the time that it was to be administered.  However, the dose cannot be accounted for and was presumably lost.  As per protocol with missing meds, the nurse underwent a Professional ( 12 panel plus Fentanyl and Suboxone) UDS.  The UDS comes back negative for the Hydrocodone, but non-negative for Amphetamine.

For a reasonable suspicion/reasonable cause UDS, this panel is appropriate.  However, in this scenario, are we violating any areas (HIPPA, etc.) for testing for anything beyond the Hydrocodone?  I know that, if someone is diverting, there is a probability that they are misusing more than one substance.  However, in the current legal atmosphere, are we going beyond the bounds?  We do have a policy explaining that the Professional panel will be obtained.  However, we have had some rumblings of privacy concerns in some cases.

I thank you in advance for your input.

Stuart A, Sandler, DO
Medical Director Occupational and Employee Health Services
Mcleod Regional Health