[MCOH-EH] MCOH-EH Digest, Vol 253, Issue 318 - varicella exposure

Timothy Herrick herrickt at ohsu.edu
Mon Nov 19 13:21:12 PST 2018

The CDC is actually a bit more demanding on what constitutes a prior history of varicella, as opposed to what is stated in the cited documents. See below.
I feel that this is appropriate given the fact that many practicing providers at the present time have virtually no experience diagnosing varicella and frankly, I don't necessarily trust a provider diagnosis of varicella.

To verify a history of varicella, health care providers should inquire about:

  *   an epidemiologic link to another typical varicella case or to a laboratory confirmed case, or
  *   evidence of laboratory confirmation, if testing was performed at the time of acute disease
Persons who have neither an epidemiologic link nor laboratory confirmation of varicella should not be considered as having a valid history of disease. For these persons, a second dose of vaccine is recommended if they previously received only one dose. If a health care provider verifies the diagnosis based on the above criteria, then vaccination is not needed.
[from Assessing Immunity to Varicella from the current CDC website.]

Tim Herrick, MD
OHSU