[MCOH-EH] Drug Diversion

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Fri Jan 4 09:34:47 PST 2019

We do share results of our drug screen/alcohol results with our administrative diversion team.

If it is a drug diversion or impairment issue,  we do share the results with our diversion team which consist of:   EHS manger/director,  the employee's  manager and/or director, HR manager/VP,  Chief Nursing Officer, Diversion Officer, and Security Director.   It is in our policy that they have the right to know due to "probable cause of diversion or impairment at work" as they are part of the intervention.

We have never had a confidentiality breach as the team is primarily administrative and does not breach protocol.  The diversion team is also part of the team that makes decisions on rehab, recovery, return to work, referral to state recovery agencies, DEA or licensing boards so it is important they are aware of drug testing results.

We also do root cause analysis of diversion/impairment cases, so the team needs to understand the situation to investigate the case.  We may even get Risk Management and Corporate compliance involved as needed.  We also inform managers of alcohol levels of impaired employees as we feel this is an opportunity to teach the management team observation on impairment.

We hold our management team to strict confidentiality standards and in my 30+ years at this organizations have never had a manager breach this related to substance abuse.

JoAnn Shea, MS, APRN, COHN-S
Director, Employee Health Services
Tampa General Hospital
Cell: 813-789-3441