[MCOH-EH] Updated Pertussis Vaccination

Swift, Melanie D., M.D. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 17 08:14:29 PST 2019

This is a huge conundrum in MCOH. Vaccine-mediated immunity wanes within a decade – as does natural immunity from infection. There is no clear serologic marker of immunity - different studies use different antibodies and different cutoff levels to assess immunity, and we know that cell-mediated immunity is an important unmeasured contributor to immunity. But the consensus is that immunity is relatively short and certainly not lifelong or career long. Yet, there is no recommendation for routine adult pertussis boosters outside of pregnancy – even every 10 years. WHO and CDC continue to recommend only the Td every 10 years.

WHO asked a SAGE panel to study this issue and they issued a report. I forget what SAGE stands for, but suffice it to say these are the world’s experts on pertussis vaccination and immunity. From a public health standpoint, the benefit of changing the recommendation for entire populations to extend pertussis boosters throughout adulthood was minimal and did not justify the enormous resource expenditure at the national level.

Obviously for healthcare personnel, there are other issues of occupational exposure management and prevention of healthcare-facility spread. BUT – vaccination doesn’t really change exposure management. Vaccination can potentially reduce costs and morbidity from outbreaks where the index case is the healthcare worker. There are several interesting cost-effectiveness studies on Tdap in HCW, but they raise more questions than they answer, frankly.

Right now, with CDC saying no boosters are recommended routinely for HCWs, I think facilities imposing a booster requirement would be on shaky ground.

Just my 2 cents!

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD
Senior Associate Consultant
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Preventive, Occupational, and Aerospace Medicine
Phone 507.284.2560
Mayo Clinic
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905