[MCOH-EH] Pre-placement Marijuana Testing

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Wed Jan 23 09:45:47 PST 2019

Good afternoon colleagues,

I've asked this question before but have _never_ received a response
from any of the "we don't employ anyone who tests positive for THC"
hospitals:

A 60-year-old attendant in the hospital's gift shop undergoes
chemotherapy for breast cancer. During the first round of chemo, she is
constantly nauseated. She feels miserable. She vomits frequently. She
loses 30 pounds.

During her second round of chemo, her oncologist (board-certified)
recommends that she try medical marijuana, which her state legislature
has legalized. She is not constantly nauseated, she vomits much less
frequently, and she loses no weight.

Six weeks later (six weeks after her chemo and six weeks since she last
used marijuana), she prepares to return to work. Unfortunately, her RTW
drug screen is positive for THC and her employment (and health care
benefits) are immediately terminated.

There are no "safety-sensitive" duties in her job description, she is
not employed in a federal facility, and she has followed professional
medical advice from a licensed physician. Six weeks after her last use
of marijuana, she clearly is not impaired by it in any way.

I would invite comments from any Employee Health practitioner in a "we
don't employ anyone who tests positive for THC" hospital regarding the
justification for depriving this woman of her livelihood.

NOTE: Please respond to me personally rather than to the list as a
whole, since I'm not trying to start an on-line quarrel: I would simply
like to hear a logical argument either from a hospital attorney or from
any Employee Health professional who is involved in the RTW process as
to how this can be considered legally, morally or ethically justified.

Respecfully,

Joe Fanucchi
--

*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*
President and Medical Director

<http://www.meditrax.com/>

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*
President and Medical Director
MediTrax / OHS, Inc. <http://www.meditrax.com/>
o:925-820-7758
c:925-368-3367
drjoe at meditrax.com <mailto: drjoe at meditrax.com>
<http://www.meditrax.com/>
/MediTrax software: Everything you need, at a fraction of the cost!/