[MCOH-EH] Onboarding: tracking immunizations and titers

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Sun Jan 27 05:29:55 PST 2019

Colleagues,

Many of our client hospitals utilize an EMR database to track required
steps in the onboarding process. For those without compatible software,
these events can also be tracked in an Excel spreadsheet with the use of
macros. We have an Excel template which we would be happy to share with
any facilities which are still using paper charts or are using software
which cannot provide this type of tracking. Please write to
support at meditrax.com <mailto: support at meditrax.com> (not to the entire
maillist) if you wish to to request a copy of the spreadsheet.

In this example, requirements which have been fulfilled are shown in
green; those still incomplete are shown in red. If a particular option
is not necessary (such as the TSTs in this example, which are not
required because the applicant has had an IGRA test) it is shown in a
"strikeout" font. The dark blue square icons are point-and-click links
which enable the Employee Health staff to enter or update the date and
details of any individual event. The entire sequence of steps can be
documented whether or not a record has been created for the applicant in
the hospital's payroll or EMR databases.

The algorithm at this particular hospital is:

  * Drug testing for all applicants is required within the two weeks
    prior to hire.
  * Flu immunization or declination is required for hires between August
    1 and March 31.
  * Clinical and medical staff are required to have respirator
    clearance, and fit testing /_or_/ PAPR clearance, within the
    previous 12 months.
  * Two-step TST testing /_or_/ an IGRA _/or/_ a TB Questionnaire /_or_/
    clinical followup of a previous positive test must be documented
    within the previous 12 months.
  * MMR titers must be documented; if any of the three titers is
    negative or absent, MMR immunization_/or/_ a written declination
    must be documented. The applicant's age and clinical history of
    disease(s) are not considered relevant.
  * Varicella titer _/or/_ immunization _/or/_ written declination must
    be documented; if the titer is negative or absent, immunization
    /_or_/ a written declination must be documented. Again, age and
    clinical history are not considered relevant.
  * TDaP within the past 5 years, _/or/_ written declination of the TDaP
    vaccine, is required.
  * HBsAb /_or_/ completion of the Hep B vaccine series /_or_/
    initiation of the vaccine series within the previous 5 weeks /_or_/
    a written declination is required. If the titer is negative,
    immunization _/or/_ a written declination must be documented.

Hope this helps,

Joe Fanucchi

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*