[MCOH-EH] Pre-placement Marijuana Testing

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Sun Jan 27 05:59:58 PST 2019

I based my example on a the case of an actual person, after changing her
job title and diagnosis. With all due respect, her oncologist did NOT
give her "bad advice." The state legislature, which regulates the
practice of medicine in her state, has determined that a physician may
legally recommend the use of marijuana for specific conditions. Neither
she, nor her physician, did anything illegal. He was acting within the
legally defined scope of practice in the state. The court acknowledged
that her statehas made the use of medical marijuana permissible, but it
concluded that marijuana’s illegality under federal law results in the
ADA offering no protection and her termination was therefore justified
despite no evidence of impairment. I fault the MRO in this case for
simply refusing to accept that she had a legitimate medical explanation
for the trace amount of THC in her system.

I realize that litigation on this subject continues, because while
employers are not currently required to accommodate the use of medical
marijuana, they must still follow state law regarding the drug testing
of their employees. When a drug test is contested, courts will balance
the employer’s reason for testing against the employee’s legitimate
expectation of privacy.

Respectfully,

Joe Fanucchi

--