[MCOH-EH] USP 800

Julie Brooks JBrooks at tccokc.org
Thu Mar 14 06:44:37 PDT 2019

We (like many!) are updating our hazardous drug policy and procedures to comply with USP 800. I have LOTS of questions but I'll keep it to one for today! :)

We are a pediatric facility and many of the hazardous drugs we administer need to be crushed. We have already discussed switching some of these to a liquid/suspension form. However there are a few that we are unable to switch and these tablets will require crushing by our nursing staff prior to administration. Am I reading the recommendations correctly that this would require respiratory protection? And is a surgical N-95 respirator that provides a barrier to splashes and sprays sufficient?

I am anticipating some pushback from nursing staff if they are required to wear respiratory protection when crushing certain tablets (estrogen/progesterone combinations, most notably) so I want to make sure I am understanding the guideline correctly.

Also, if anyone feels like their facility has a good handle on USP 800 please let me know as I have more questions! Thank you!

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4DA3F.80BC83E0]<http://www.miracleshappenhere.org/>

Julie Brooks, RN
Employee Health Nurse
t: 405.789.6711 x3034
www.miracleshappenhere.org

This e-mail may contain identifiable health information that is subject to protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by electronic mail (reply).