[MCOH-EH] sensitivities to scents in the workplace

Deborah a Sampson da.sampson at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 17:21:33 PDT 2019

I am assuming that you have medical documentation of a true allergy to essential oils? Are there sensitivities to other scents? If so, you need to have an allergist confirm the diagnosis and identify accommodations based on the job description to avoid any subsequent legal action as much as possible.

Scent sensitivity can evolve and extend to other aromatics in facilities and on people. It is very difficult to accommodate in a quasi public environment such as a health care facility.

I wonder how the employee manages out in public such as at the grocery store ?

It will be difficult to assure that the employee with a true scent sensitivity symptoms that can not be controlled with medication can be reasonably accommodated in a health care environment.

Deb Sampson, PhD, APRN, FAANP

Sent from Mail for Windows 10