[MCOH-EH] Psychological pre-screening for armed security guards?

Tara Dockery tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com
Fri May 17 12:52:08 PDT 2019

Craig Thorne - I am in Washington state, and here is a response from our Security Manager who used to be a former Undersherrif. These rules may only apply in WA, so you  may want to check regulations in your state.

Heavy psychological testing is required for law enforcement but not security guards. Armed security would only have to pass some really basic stuff.  Here is the list.

Armed Security Guard Requirements in Washington

To become an armed security guard in Washington, applicants must:

  *   be at least 21 years old
  *   be already licensed as an unarmed security guard
  *   have no felony convictions within the past 10 years
  *   submit to drug testing, which may be ongoing
  *   submit a fingerprint card
  *   have not committed any acts of fraud
  *   be employed by, or have an offer of employment from, a licensed private security company
  *   hold a Washington driver's license
  *   have a commission issued firearms certificate that is current

Licensing Body: Washington State Department of Licensing<http://www.dol.wa.gov/>

It's funny because I actually had a conversation about hospital security guards last night.  Clearly there is a need for better trained hospital security personnel.  Beginning with unarmed guards.  Their verbal skills need to be far better based on what I was told in a much larger hospital.  Rude and agitating patients is not the answer.  So to arm those folks without proper training is leaning into problems.  I believe most hospital hire outside companies for their security.  We should screen the companies first.

Tara

Tara Lee Dockery, IP, MT(ASCP), BS | Infection Preventionist and Employee Health
Ocean Beach Hospital and Medical Clinics
174 1st Ave North | P.O. Box H | Ilwaco |WA | 98624
Phone: 360.642.6307 | Cell : 509-760-7397 | Fax: 360-642-6309  |tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com<mailto:tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com>

[cid:image003.png at 01D40E32.E65AC8D0]<http://www.oceanbeachhospital.com/>

www.oceanbeachhospital.com<http://www.oceanbeachhospital.com/>