[MCOH-EH] Searching for rational method to determine which employees had significant exposure to inpatients discovered to have active tuberculosis

Grubbs, Scott Scott_Grubbs at bshsi.org
Mon May 20 10:24:48 PDT 2019

We are a low risk institution for tuberculosis.  However, when there is a possible exposure, our infection prevention staff use a protocol  which essentially deems anyone who walked in the room as "exposed," and thus included in immediate and delayed testing for TB.  As we are using IGRA testing, that runs into a good deal of money, as well as the unnecessary anxiety suffered by employees who really should have been reassured that they had trivial exposure.

However, I have yet to find a evidence-based discussion as to how to make those determinations in the hospital environment.  I have seen articles about community contact investigations (1) and passing comments from health departments (2), and one regarding a NICU exposure reflecting unique characteristics of such infants (3) but no one who has discussed a rational evidence-based approach for such contact investigations among HCW in the hospital or health facility environment.

It seems that it would ideally include several weighted factors: