[MCOH-EH] TB Exposures

Swift, Melanie D., M.D. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Fri Jun 14 09:06:16 PDT 2019

Mari, I'm not sure what you mean by "overall injury count." From an OSHA standpoint they are certainly not recordable. From a work comp standpoint they would not meet the definition of an "injury" in any work comp statute I'm aware of, as the person does not have a health condition (unless they convert and have LTBI).

There is no national requirement or standard to report a monthly "overall injury count," but naturally you need to track a number of metrics internally. Evaluating 200 exposed employees and doing their post exposure follow-up represents significant work and resources, so you should definitely account for exposure management efforts in some way. Infection prevention, safety, administration, and others need to know the impact of exposures and the effectiveness of exposure control plans. This is also important information to share with your institutional leadership, so they know the impact of TB and other infectious exposures, and they appreciate your value!

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD, MPH
Medical Director, Mayo Clinic Physician Health Center
Senior Associate Consultant
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Preventive, Occupational, and Aerospace Medicine
Phone 507.284.2560
Mayo Clinic
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905