[MCOH-EH] OSHA-compliant portable audiometric testing machines?

Cockrum, MD David S dcockrum at frhs.org
Mon Jun 17 13:50:09 PDT 2019

Craig-

Because it's a government agency, I don't think OSHA "certifies" audiometric testing machines - that could be considered an "endorsement" which the government isn't supposed to do. However, OSHA does very specifically outline the standards required for rooms in which audiometric testing should occur. These standards are defined here: https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.95AppD

Most of the portable machines that I've seen attempt to compensate for the testing room ambient noise. Most commonly, the device includes what amounts to a dosimeter as part of the equipment. If the noise level exceeds any of the OSHA standards, the machine will stop the test until noise levels are back down. At least, that's how I understand it.

Someone else mentioned ShoeBox Audiometry, which is one of the available portable testing systems. There are a couple of others, but I'm drawing a blank on their names. They had booths at the ACOEM meeting, which is always a good place to get leads on this kind of Occ Med related equipment.

David

DAVIDCOCKRUM, MD
Physician
Faith Regional Physician Services
Occupational Health
(402) 844 8300
2024 Pasewalk Avenue, Suite 2, Norfolk, NE 68701
Click on the logos to learn more about our services.
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged or legally protected communications or information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, distribution, dissemination or copying of this message or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should immediately notify the sender by a return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system.