[MCOH-EH] Drug Testing For Suspected Diversion

Swift, Melanie D., M.D. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Wed Jun 26 10:02:57 PDT 2019

Hi Sumeet,
I would caution you against using drug testing to detect diversion. Not everyone who steals a drug uses it themselves, and not everyone who uses diverted drugs will test positive.

The absence of the drug in a forensic drug test does not mean the person did not divert the medication (short half-life, sold, given to someone, or squirrelled away with intent to use later). Doesn't matter. Diversion is a criminal act, and needs to be dealt with as any other theft (plus the reporting required by professional boards, DEA, etc).

However, a negative forensic drug test will most definitely be used by a diverter as "evidence" that they were wrongly accused. It creates plausible deniability.

You need a comprehensive diversion detection program (one example: https://assets.hcca-info.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Resources/Conference_Handouts/Regional_Conference/2014/Minneapolis/Dillonprint2.pdf ). You need timely, reliable reasonable suspicion testing. There may be isolated cases where testing an individual is warranted, but I would strongly recommend you not routinely perform employee forensic drug testing to detect  diversion.

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD, MPH
Medical Director, Mayo Clinic Physician Health Center
Senior Associate Consultant
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Preventive, Occupational, and Aerospace Medicine
Phone 507.284.2560
Mayo Clinic
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905