[MCOH-EH] DOT exams and Marijuana

Susan Higgins SHiggins at sturdymemorial.org
Wed Aug 21 09:21:08 PDT 2019

Hello All
I am curious on how you are all handling those having a DOT exam that state yes to “Have you used an illegal substance within the past two years?” And go on to state they use marijuana?
We are not giving them the card, we do report it to the FMSCA and we do charge.
In Massachusetts Marijuana is legal and this does confuse some of the drivers.
We of course feel bad that we could be taking away a job for them, but we must follow the regulations.
Is anyone doing anything different?
Thank you in advance.
Sue

Susan Higgins RN, BSN, COHN
Clinical Manager, Occupational Health Services
Sturdy Memorial Hospital
P-508-236-7505
F-508-222-0796
Shiggins at sturdymemorial.org<mailto:Shiggins at sturdymemorial.org>