[MCOH-EH] Surgical Smoke Evacuation

Marilyn Byrd MSBYRD at uhhg.org
Wed Aug 28 12:34:09 PDT 2019

I am in the process of evaluating the practice here at my hospital in regards to how we handle surgical smoke.  I would appreciate any feedback in regards to the following questions.

1.        Do you have a policy in place for Safe Handling of Surgical Smoke? If so, would you share with me?

2.        For those who have smoke evacuators, which type do you have and are you satisfied with its performance?

3.       Have you found any evidence that defines minimal and significant smoke to guide in usage of just a wall suction with hepa filter or the need for a smoke evacuator (local exhaust ventilation).

4.       Do you offer the HPV vaccine to surgical employees?

5.       If your surgical employees wear the N95 mask instead of having a local exhaust ventilation system how did you get consistent usage?

Thank you for your feedback

Marilyn Byrd MSN, RN
System Director
Employee Health
Office: 812-238-7163
Fax: 812-238-7287

As an EOE/AA employer, Union Hospital, Inc. will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status. CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.