[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: Staff member on Humira with exposure to patient with active TB

Swift, Melanie D., M.D., M.P.H. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Tue Feb 11 12:09:36 PST 2020

Charles I recommend talking with your IPAC and/or public health consultants. The extent of exposure is really important here. If this was someone who spent 5 minutes in the same room, it’s different than a household contact or someone performing an intubation on the patient. It also matters how infectious the source patient was. Prophylactic treatment before an IGRA or TST conversion is given but only in really limited circumstances. As far as the regimen to use, consult IPAC/public health if the source patient is known to have MDR/XDR or an INH/RIF resistant organism. Otherwise you wouldn’t deviate from the standard treatment regimen based on the exposed person being on Humira. The big question is whether the exposure itself was intense enough to warrant treatment before test conversion. (I doubt it, but could see it in some extraordinary circs. I would be interested to learn if it is recommended and based on what factors.)
Thanks for sharing an interesting issue!

Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD, MPH
Medical Director, Mayo Clinic Physician Health Center<https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/preventive-occupational-aerospace-medicine/physician-health-center/referrals>
Associate Medical Director, Occupational Health Service
Senior Associate Consultant
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Preventive, Occupational, and Aerospace Medicine
Phone 507.284.2560
Mayo Clinic
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905