[MCOH-EH] Respiratory protection standard compliance for non-employed clinicians, others in healthcare workplace

Galaid Edward I Edward.Galaid at rsfh.com
Mon Mar 9 10:55:08 PDT 2020

I cross posted this, since I think the issue is generalizable.

For those in MCOH...do you oversee 1910.134 compliance for the community clinicians and others who work in your facility, or do you place the responsibility solely on them and their employers to comply.
And do you keep track of their compliance, for example in the Med Staff office.

This is from the standard (emphasis mine)

1910.134(a)(2)<https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owalink.query_links?src_doc_type=STANDARDS&src_unique_file=1910_0134&src_anchor_name=1910.134(a)(2)>
"A respirator shall be provided to each employee when such equipment is necessary to protect the health of such employee. The employer shall provide the respirators which are applicable and suitable for the purpose intended. The employer shall be responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a respiratory protection program..."

In my system, Safety has managed the respiratory protection program.  I might get involved if there is an issue in the questionnaire responses...but I don't remember the last time that happened.

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH, FACOEM
ABIM, ABPM (OM)
Medical Director, Roper St. Francis Physician Partners Occupational Medicine
Charleston, SC
Member, ACOEM Task Group,  Guidance for the Medical Evaluation of Law Enforcement Officers
Special Expert, NFPA Fire Service Occupational Safety & Health (FIX-AAA) Committee
(O) 843-402-5053

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.