[MCOH-EH] Use COVID antibody results for return to work management?

Gwen Brachman gobmd at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 11:35:58 PDT 2020

And then there’s the possibility of ADE - antibody-dependent enhancement.  This is when an antibody to the virus is formed but rather than protect the cells from being infected by the virus (either by promoting inflammatory response and destroying the virus or causing changes to the virus or cell receptors which inhibits the virus from entering the cell) - the antibody either causes a conformation of the virus or a conformation in the cell receptor that actually facilitates the virus entering the cell.  This is what happens with Dengue - the first infection usually has only mild or moderate symptoms, while a second infection is more severe - often leading to hemorrhagic fever.  In this case, having the antibody is not protective - it facilitates a much worse second infection

Also, it may be that the cellular immune system is more important than the humoral system - who knows?

We obviously still have a lot to learn about COVID-19, but it's also amazing how quickly we are amassing information

My two cents
Gwen Brachman MD, MS, MPH, FACOEMChair - SC for OH in HWs of ICOH

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad