[MCOH-EH] Projecting RTW dates for employees with COVID-19

William.Scott William.Scott at carle.com
Thu Jul 16 15:56:47 PDT 2020

Dear Dr. Galaid:
We employ approx. 8000 employees across 3 hospitals and clinics and we have used a case managing process with a COVID Hot Line with RNs who do daily call backs using CDC guidelines and our own algorithms based on such guidelines. Once the RN feels they are ready to RTW they are then handed over to our OM department to do Provider interviews on the phone and document recovery and testing status and to truly determine if they are meeting CDC guidelines. If they do and are recovering normally they we clear them to work with universal masking and self-monitoring.

Some of the cases do take longer due to prolong symptoms. The biggest problems seems to be fatigue.
I do not know of any severity index that predicts RTW for COVID-19.

Bill

William Scott, MD, MPH, FACOEM
Clinical Associate Professor, Carle Illinois College of Medicine,
Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana-Champaign
Head, Occupational & Envionmental Medicine & Employee Health
Carle Foundation Hospital, Carle Physician Group.
O 217-383-5383
M 217-372-4819