[MCOH-EH] Fw: [occ-env-med-l] Projecting RTW dates for employees with COVID-19

Abhijay Karandikar dr_abhik at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 28 19:22:33 PDT 2020

 Ed,

We have always made RTW decisions related to COVID-19 based on symptom based criteria due to all the issues associated with testing. Employees call in with symptoms and are triaged by the EHS staff and a return to work date is given, based on the most recent guidelines (CDC and our state DOH). EHS staff does not check in regularly. Employees are informed that they should call 24 hours before their RTW date and fill out our RTW screening form essentially attesting that they have no symptoms. If we do not hear back from the employee on or before their RTW date, EHS staff will call to inquire.

I have not heard of a "severity index" but you may find this interesting:

"Covid-19: Study reveals six clusters of symptoms that could be used as a clinical prediction tool

An analysis of data obtained from a symptom tracker app has shown that there are six distinct “types” of covid-19, each distinguished by a cluster of symptoms. The researchers said that these types could be used to predict the need for respiratory support in severe covid-19.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m2911"

(You would need to copy and paste the above link). I have not seen the actual study myself but it appears that data has been gathered from self-reported information collected from people using smartphone devices

Abhijay

Abhijay P. Karandikar, MD, MPH, FACOEM
Chief, Section of Employee Health
Reading Hospital, PA

On Thursday, July 16, 2020, 05:36:39 PM EDT, Galaid Edward I <edward.galaid at rsfh.com> wrote:

#yiv6983195251 #yiv6983195251 -- filtered {}#yiv6983195251 filtered {}#yiv6983195251 p.yiv6983195251MsoNormal, #yiv6983195251 li.yiv6983195251MsoNormal, #yiv6983195251 div.yiv6983195251MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6983195251 a:link, #yiv6983195251 span.yiv6983195251MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6983195251 a:visited, #yiv6983195251 span.yiv6983195251MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6983195251 span.yiv6983195251EmailStyle17 {font-family:sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv6983195251 p.yiv6983195251Default, #yiv6983195251 li.yiv6983195251Default, #yiv6983195251 div.yiv6983195251Default {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:sans-serif;color:black;}#yiv6983195251 .yiv6983195251MsoChpDefault {font-family:sans-serif;}#yiv6983195251 filtered {}#yiv6983195251 div.yiv6983195251WordSection1 {}#yiv6983195251

I’ve cross posted OEM and MCOH.

We are an integrated healthcare system, 4 hospitals, many outpatient sites, 5800+ employees…dealing with staffing shortages because of COVID-19. Trying to provide the managers with projections as to when individuals, post COVID-19, could be fit to RTW. Fortunately, we have top-shelf in-house resources to keep close tabs on these folks. Right now, we have roughly a couple hundred out…as you may have seen on the news, Charleston’s become quite the hot spot, after a relatively quiet Spring.

Questions for the list are 1) if you are case managing, how often are you checking in on your folks and 2) have you heard of a severity index that could help predict how long someone might be out of work…beyond that 10 day minimum.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Will summarize for the lists.

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH, FACOEM

ABIM, ABPM (OM)

Medical Director, Occupational Medicine

Roper Saint Francis Healthcare

Charleston, SC 29401

Member, ACOEM Task Group on Law Enforcement Officer Health

Special Expert, NFPA Fire Service Occupational Safety & Health (FIX-AAA) Committee

843-402-5053

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.

Please remove this footer before replying to the forum.

You are currently receiving Occ-Env-Med-L, a free discussion forum for clinical and public health professionals (only) about topics in Occupational & Environmental Medicine, housed at the University of N.Carolina School of Public Health.

Today's Sponsor: Medlock Consulting, a premier search firm specializing in Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

HARVARD School of Public Health named the “Nyla Medlock Occupational and Environmental Medicine Fellowship Fund.”
“Named as one of the nation’s 50 Most Influential People in Workers' Compensation and Occupational Medicine.”

Your messages are sent to: dr_abhik at yahoo.com

To post a broadcast msg, send to Occ-Env-Med-L at listserv.unc.edu. Use a good subj line and be sure to identify yourself & any potential conflicts of interest. Attachments are supposed to be prohibited, so put your content into the message itself. Please avoid excessive abbreviations