[MCOH-EH] Virtual PPD readings?

Eisenhauer, Julie (TCRHCC) Julie.Eisenhauer at TCHEALTH.ORG
Wed Jul 29 08:21:59 PDT 2020

We teach it must be palpated without visual first then visual. Why? The read is trying to find the "iceberg" above and below the area. I always tell my new nurses to feel for the "iceberg below the water". I have experienced induration not only felt above the skin but below it.

Must be palpated by someone who is not related or intimately involved with the patient. The reader must be at a RN, MD, PA, etc..

Sincerely Your Employee Health Nurse.

Julie A. Eisenhauer BSN, RN, CCM
Employee Health Nurse

Tuba City Regional Health Care Corporation
167 North Main Street, PO Box 600
Tuba City, AZ. 86045
Phone:(928)283-2432 ext. 41544
Fax: (928)283-2042
Email: Julie.eisenhauer at tchealth.org<mailto:Julie.eisenhauer at tchealth.org>
HR Email: TCRHCC at tcheatlh.org

From: MCOH-EH <mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net> On Behalf Of Auerbach, Karl
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 5:52 PM
To: MCOH-EH <mcoh-eh at mylist.net>
Subject: Re: [MCOH-EH] Virtual PPD readings?

  1.  I agree that the person, their mother, etc should not be the one reading.  While most are not going to fudge the reading, in occ med and hospitals especially, there are implications of a positive test that the worker may choose to want to avoid- no matter how good the reading
  2.  I have taught nurses without a relationship to the worker and EMTs to read PPD in person and in some instances will accept that reading provided the reader is a trusted partner and its clear cut.
  3.  I teach readers to draw a pen point along into the area of induration from 4 directions and then measure.  I wonder if the points that are marked have been shown to be reliable  I believe they are as reliable if not more reliable than just the finger feeling the raised area and certainly more reliable than visual.   And can they then be measured correctly with a virtual view.   I think they can but don't know of any literature or studies.
Karl Auerbach MD
Albany NY
My opinions,  nothing more....

This electronic message from EmblemHealth is intended for the use only of the named recipient(s), and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error or are not the named recipient, please notify the sender of the message immediately at the e-mail address above and delete and destroy all copies of this message.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, (or authorized to receive for the recipient) you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments and contact the sender by reply e-mail or telephone.