[MCOH-EH] COVID-19 symptom based strategy

Giovannetti, Mary MGiovannetti at srhs.com
Thu Jul 30 07:11:41 PDT 2020

1. Are you using the mild-moderate-severe-critical illness definitions for determining duration of work exclusion (10 vs 20 days) or are you using the minimum (10 days only, with 24 hours of being afebrile, etc.) based on operating in crisis capacity? ​yes. We are defining Severe as hospitalized. There's not way for us to know what their O2 sats were!
2. Clinical judgement is of great importance when using the symptom based strategy. Who does the triaging - staff/OH-EH providers/IP? RN's do the triage phone calls and do the RTW visits for those who were mildly ill who did not complete a workers' comp claim. The NP sees anyone who was hospitalized or filed a WC claim.

3. Are you asking employees to use their ETO/PTO/sick time for time away due to symptoms irrespective of the duration? yes unless accepted by WC

4. Are you still offering testing? If so, who pays for the two tests needed 24 hours apart? What is the turnaround time for test results? Does testing result in returning employees much sooner than based on symptoms only, especially since symptoms need to significantly improve as well? testing is free now. We have drive thrus for the community. Turnaround is all over the place- right now it seems to be around 4 days. It could be 1 day to 7 days.

Mary C Giovannetti, DNP, APRN, FNP
Manager/Nurse Practitioner| Employee Health
Physician's Center, 100 East Wood St., Suite 204 | Spartanburg, SC 29303
o: 864-560-6514 | f: 864-560-6509  c: 864-497-4087
e: mgiovannetti at srhs.com<mailto:mgiovannetti at srhs.com> | w: SpartanburgRegional.com<http://www.spartanburgregional.com/>