[MCOH-EH] SARS CoV-19 virus in aerosols study

Marilyn Byrd MSBYRD at uhhg.org
Fri Aug 14 06:29:26 PDT 2020

You are very welcome.

Marilyn Byrd MSN, RN
System Director
Employee Health
Office: 812-238-7163
Fax: 812-238-7287

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Galaid Edward I
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 12:57 PM
To: Occ-Env-Med-L at listserv.unc.edu; mcoh-eh at mylist.net
Subject: [MCOH-EH] SARS CoV-19 virus in aerosols study

CAUTION: EXTERNAL EMAIL

Here's the study that was mentioned in the NYTimes this AM.  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/health/coronavirus-aerosols-indoors.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/health/coronavirus-aerosols-indoors.html?action=click&module=Top*20Stories&pgtype=Homepage__;JQ!!ER0Lvm7wyZM1eA!ph6J1zOjpEtXCnllArGzSu3hOtEk47zGxdF3iSz8k38QTofZTKTBGG9LD8fl$>
about virus in aerosol form detected in hospital air, not associated with aerosol generating procedures:  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.03.20167395v1<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.03.20167395v1__;!!ER0Lvm7wyZM1eA!ph6J1zOjpEtXCnllArGzSu3hOtEk47zGxdF3iSz8k38QTofZTKTBGOCNFThO$>

You can download the full manuscript from that site.   It's in pre-print format.
I guess the next question is, what is a biologically significant concentration of viable virus particles that could ultimately cause disease spread.
And if we're out there seeing patients and we are  wearing nothing but  surgical masks...should we re-think that.

Ed

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH, FACOEM
ABIM, ABPM (OM)
Medical Director, Occupational Medicine
Roper Saint Francis Healthcare
Charleston, SC 29401
Member, ACOEM Task Group on Law Enforcement Officer Health
Special Expert, NFPA Fire Service Occupational Safety & Health (FIX-AAA) Committee

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.
*** External Message Caution ***
Do Not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.
Union Health Information Systems- Helpdesk x4911
As an EOE/AA employer, Union Hospital, Inc. will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran or disability status. CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.