[MCOH-EH] COVID-19 vaccination planning

Michele Cohen Marill marill at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 20 11:03:50 PDT 2020

JoAnn,

It’s been a long time since we’ve been in touch—this is a blast from the past (Hospital Employee Health days). I hope you’re doing well in these challenging times. I’m still writing about health and medicine, primarily for Wired, Medscape, and Health Affairs. I saw your MCOH email regarding initial Covid-19 vaccination—it sounds like HCWs may be offered the vaccine under an EUA before the Phase 3 trials end. I was wondering if this decision has already been made or if it will be dependent on Data & Safety Monitoring Board determinations. Also, would this be a subset of HCWs, such as hospitalists and respiratory therapists? Do you have a goal for a number or proportion of HCWs who would take it? What benefit would the vaccine provide beyond the safety conveyed by screening patients and wearing N95s and face shields (or PAPRS)? Is there any data on the number of infections and deaths of HCWs in the US?

This is a fascinating development—it reminds me a bit of the smallpox vaccination of first responders in 2003/4, although of course the threat is omnipresent now. I would like to pitch this as a story to one of my editors, but I need to understand a bit more about what’s happening or likely to happen. (I see that ACIP is meeting on Tuesday-I wonder if they’ll discuss this.)

Thanks so much!

-Michele

Michele Cohen Marill

Journalist/Writer