[MCOH-EH] Returning high risk covid exposures to work

Cockrum, MD David S dcockrum at frhs.org
Wed Oct 21 07:05:33 PDT 2020

Deanna-

Like you, we have been excluding from work anyone with a high risk exposure, though we had developed a process of testing them after 7 days of quarantine (rather than waiting 14 days), and if negative and asymptomatic, return them to work a bit early. However, with the current crunch, our hospital is having to pull clinic nursing staff to the hospital to staff all the beds that are now full. So I am seriously considering recommending that we keep all exposed HCWs at work with close monitoring of symptoms and temps (e.g. every 3-4 hour temp checks, logged by manager). This carries risk that they will start shedding asymptomatically and expose others, but with everyone in masks anyhow, that risk may be acceptable if it means staffing to provide safe care for our patients.

David

DAVIDCOCKRUM, MD
Physician
Faith Regional Physician Services
Occupational Health
(402) 844 8300
2024 Pasewalk Avenue, Suite 2, Norfolk, NE 68701
Click on the logos to learn more about our services.
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged or legally protected communications or information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, distribution, dissemination or copying of this message or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should immediately notify the sender by a return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system.