[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: Informed Consent

Higazi, Patricia Patricia.Higazi at chkd.org
Wed Dec 16 07:39:58 PST 2020

ACIP did approve for pregnant and breastfeeding women
Patricia Higazi RN MSN COHN
Occupational Health Director
CHKD Norfolk VA

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 16, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Teichman, Ron F <Ron.Teichman at bannerhealth.com> wrote:

External:

Abhijay,

The answers to your questions will largely be driven by the documents provided by Pfizer, FDA, CDC, ACIP and ACOG. There are very few absolute contraindications for receiving the Pfizer (and presumably the Moderna) vaccine. These include allergic reaction to the first dose and allergies to components of the vaccine. There is insufficient data to argue for or against immunizing pregnant or lactating women, therefore the risk of the unknown must be weighed against the risks of more severe disease in pregnancy and potential fetal harm. These are discussions that we are directing the woman to have with their OB or PCP and they will need to make their own decision. Immunocompromise is not a contraindication at all, rather there is some question about the robustness of the immunogenic response, but there is no indication that there is any harm involved in vaccinated these individuals. There is some guidance about delaying vaccination of acutely ill individuals, whether to avoid exposing the vaccinators or to avoid confusion with post-vaccination symptoms.

Stay safe and Stay healthy,
Ron

Ron Teichman, M.D., M.P.H., FACOEM, FACP
Division Medical Director
Banner Occupational Health and Wellness
1300 N. 12th Street, Suite 610
Phoenix, AZ 85006