[MCOH-EH] Covid vaccination plan

Denece O Kesler DKesler at salud.unm.edu
Thu Dec 31 09:01:12 PST 2020

I would have to say that COVID vaccine planning and implementation has been constant change so any documents today may be out of date tomorrow. So far we have given over 7000 doses of Pfizer-I am in an academic health system with several clinical setting types (several hospitals, clinics, cancer center, etc). Here are my best suggestions, much of which you are probably already doing:

  1.  Read your State's Department of Health plan because you'll have to be compliant with it. It also is a good starting point to help you make sure you include all of the components for your plan.
  2.  Keep up-to-date on CDC and FDA requirements.
  3.  Listen to the CDC COCA calls. They answer questions that you might not otherwise think about.
  4.  Read the EUA documents on whichever vaccine you're using.
  5.  Read the ACIP meeting materials related to both who you can offer the vaccine to at this point in time as well as guidance on each vaccine. Listening to the meetings can yield information that you don't otherwise easily find so try to do that if you can.
  6.  Put out as much information to your vaccine receiving population as you can regarding common questions such as if someone can receive the vaccine if they have already had COVID, side effects, contraindications, etc. but realize that every day you are going to have people who scheduled their appointment without reading it so they will ask. (We even had someone with a severe allergy to a vaccine ingredient who only disclosed when at the vaccine clinic.) Make sure your vaccinators have such information readily at hand so they don't have to constantly call you for guidance.
  7.  We created an operations committee with the majority of work being completed by sub groups that report to this committee. The categories of the sub groups currently include the following: logistics/supplies; vaccine management (pharmacy, occhealth); populations served; workforce/staff (we are using volunteers and set up a separate covid vaccine clinic); communications and marketing; regulation/compliance; forms/documentation/reporting; and regional collaboration/communication.
I'm sure there are many others that have better advice, but I offer this for your consideration.
Thanks. Denece
Denece Kesler, MD, MPH, FACOEM
Professor
Preventive Medicine Section Chief
Director, UNM COEHP
Medical Director, UNMH OHS
Program Director, UNM Preventive Medicine Residency Program
Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Preventive Medicine
Department of Internal Medicine
Health Sciences Center
University of New Mexico