[MCOH-EH] Temperature screening of employees

Wendland, Douglas Douglas.Wendland at slhduluth.com
Fri Feb 26 12:01:29 PST 2021

We are not under CMS requirements, but our State Dept. of Health had a similar requirement that was rescinded within the past few months.  Temperature screening is completely ineffective.  CDC data from airport screening during the Ebola outbreak showed zero sensitivity and zero specificity.  There has been a similar experience with temperature screening for COVID-19 with primarily false positive screens and few, if any true positive screens.  We have been relying on education on COVID-19 symptoms, high risk contacts, and early self-reporting and testing.  I think that that is about the best that can be done to try to keep infected employees out of the workplace.  I believe that CDC has also dropped the recommendation for temperature screening.

Douglas M Wendland, MD, MPH
St. Luke's Occupational Medicine