[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Re: OSHA form for students

Philip Harber philharber at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:52:00 PDT 2021

Deborah, Karl,

 I completely agree that we must strive for a unitary high standard of
care. *Medical Center OH&S programs serving higher educational institutions*
also occasionally face organizational challenges in addition to the
distinctions created by OSHA, workers compensation, and FERPA coverage
regulations.

Unlike community-based OH&S centers for which the number of students is
limited, the number of students in these institutions far exceeds the
number of employees. In addition, there may be several different clinical
service providers-  student health service, employee health service, and
(sometimes) a hospital employee health service. This unfortunately leads to
significant gaps and duplications. Funding streams also differ.

(Both of the locations at which I worked in the past 20 years even had
distinctions between institutional employees providing health services and
those in other institutional units. It would be interesting to hear the
structures and experiences of MCOH's in other higher education
institutions).

We therefore need to consistently advocate for providing high quality
occupational health services even to “nonemployees” exposed to hazards.

(Of course, providing the “OSHA questionnaire” is only useful if
interpreted by someone who understands respirators and the work conditions
in which they will be used)

Phil Harber

*Philip Harber MD MPH*

email:  philharber at gmail.com or pharber at email.arizona.edu