[MCOH-EH] Smoking - Employees

Shea, Joann jshea at tgh.org
Fri Apr 23 08:34:10 PDT 2021

We require an attestation for tobacco use during the preplacement exam.   We draw a serum cotinine test on all new hires who state they are non-tobacco users during the preplacement and urine test for metabolites if they are on NRT.   All persons  who attest to tobacco use  or   who are cotinine + are sent to our benefits dept and enrolled as a tobacco user and are surcharged an additional $22 per pay period on their health insurance premium.   We also have them sign an attestation if a covered spouse is a tobacco user and, if yes, that also gets sent to Benefits to assign the surcharge.

If they complete an approved tobacco cessation program and submit documentation, the surcharge is removed within 30 days during the calendar year.      Any team member who was enrolled as a tobacco user cannot reenroll as a non tobacco user for the following year until a cotinine test is completed in our clinic and is negative (or urine metabolites for NRT therapy).

JoAnn Shea, APRN, MS, COHN-S
Director, Team Member Health and Wellness
Tampa General Hospital
Office: 813-844-7692
Cell:      813-789-3441
jshea at tgh.org