[MCOH-EH] Trends in COVID-19 cases in vaccinated healthcare workers - Rookie mistake

Swift, Melanie D., M.D., M.P.H. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Tue Aug 10 09:23:01 PDT 2021

Not such a rookie mistake, Ed! When we see a high percent of vaccinated employees among the positives, naturally we all get concerned. Of course, if we had 100% vaccination in the population, then the vaccination rate among new infectious would also be 100%. As you demonstrate, it's important to put this into context and compare the incidence rate among fully vaccinated employees - 2 weeks post final dose if you are able to track that - to the incidence rate among partially vaccinated and unvaccinated employees. If you can monitor this for the same time period you can get a true incidence rate in person-days or person-years and calculate the incidence rate ratio, which may help reassure those employees who are still hesitant. Stories of infected vaccinated people can be misconstrued by the antivax or hesitant people as evidence that vaccination isn't working, but if you really calculate a rate as Ed has done, you can help to calm the waters.

Melanie