[MCOH-EH] MCOH-EH Digest, Vol 257, Issue 36 Marijuana

Rudnick, Howard L Howard.Rudnick at tuhs.temple.edu
Tue Feb 1 11:38:02 PST 2022

We no longer include THC in our pre-employment drug screen.  We continue to include THC in our for cause drug testing.  Although marijuana is not tet legal in Pennsylvania for recreational use, I feel that it is inevitable to become legal if only for the potential to raise tax revenue.

We treat marijuana in the same way that we treat the use of legally prescribed controlled substances.  It is legal to use them but not acceptable to be impaired.  If an individual is evaluated for cause we do include THC in the drug screen.   Most of all, we attempt to review the totality of the circumstances to assess if they are or are not impaired.  I believe this is the most prudent course.

Howard L. Rudnick, MD,MHA,FACP
Clinical Professor (Adjunct), Department of Medicine
Medical Director, Occupational Health Services
Temple University Health System
Office:  (215) 707-3026
Cell:  (267) 838-7040

This electronic message is intended to be for the use of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. This communication may contain protected health information (PHI) that is legally protected from inappropriate disclosure by the Privacy Standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and relevant Pennsylvania Laws. You can direct questions concerning PHI or HIPAA to the Corporate Compliance and Privacy Officer at (215) 707-5605. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and delete and destroy all copies of this message.