[MCOH-EH] Facial hair and respirators

Behrman, Amy behrman at pennmedicine.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 8 08:35:24 PDT 2022

Great visual!

Our approach is to make PAPRs freely available to staff who prefer facial hair styles that would interfere with a seal, along with education about what styles will be problematic.  My concern is that if we required anyone to be clean-shaven (or more shaven) for fit testing, they might well revert to their preferred style later and thereby compromise their protection. Amy

Amy J Behrman, MD, FACP, FACOEM
Division Chief, Occupational Medicine
Professor, Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania