[MCOH-EH] EXTERNAL: Re: Fit Testing

Thompson, Matthew Matthew.Thompson2 at wellstar.org
Thu Sep 1 09:46:08 PDT 2022

Good Afternoon All,

This is a very large task for our organization. Therefore, we break down fit testing into "New Hire" and "Ongoing".

In order to annually qualify our workers, we utilize a vendor called VestMed (https://www.respiratorclearance.com/) who does all of our MEQ's electronically before the employee shows up for their fit test, regardless if this is New Hire or Ongoing. The electronic MEQ clears a majority of our team members automatically. If it cannot, VestMed has a physician on staff that speaks with the employee and potentially clears them over the phone. If they cannot be cleared over the phone and a physical evaluation is required, they are referred to an Occupational Medicine provider as needed.

Our Employee Health team fit tests all New Hires before they begin work if they are in an at risk job to airborne contaminants. We also utilize a vendor called Best Fit Test who performs fit tests at least annually (some more than once) for our facilities. Our local Employee Health team acts as a backup in case an employee can not make one of the fit test clinics that we host.

Finally, our IT team has created a dashboard to support our tracking of fit tests. This provides a real time view of each of our facilities status and fit testing needs which allows us to allocate or shift additional resources as needed.

I hope that this helps!

Matt Thompson, CSP
Executive Director of Occupational Safety and Health

Wellstar Health System - Legal Services
793 Sawyer Road
Marietta, GA 30062
770-289-9077