[MCOH-EH] OHS EHR programs

Robert K. McLellan Robert.K.McLellan at dartmouth.edu
Mon Oct 3 06:59:23 PDT 2022

Eileen Storey worked on a project to convince the ONC to include Industry and Occupation coded data fields as a requirement in certified Electronic Medical Records used for general medical practice.  It worked!  I and O will is included as a requirement in the USCDI (interoperability requirements) V3.  There is a long history behind this effort which holds promise to revolutionize the relationship between occupational medicine, primary care and other specialties. Those interested in the details can purchase the session at AOHC 2022 on this topic.  Search for McLellan as the faculty.  Or, you can await an article that a few of us are writing to be published in JOEM later this year.  We are planning a 2 part article, the first part will address I and O in the general medical record.  The second part will address current and future efforts for these general medical records to have robust occupational medicine modules.  This latter will include a compendium of the functions we all would want in an occ med EMR.

Bob McLellan