[MCOH-EH] Prescription Medications and Safety Risk

Teichman, Ron F Ron.Teichman at bannerhealth.com
Fri Oct 7 09:18:48 PDT 2022

Hi,

We have developed a process whereby if the MRO confirms legitimate prescriptions for a positive screen or if the person self discloses narcotics or multiple meds, they are required to be evaluated by an occ doc to determine if there is any sign of clinical impairment, in which case the hiring process is put on hold. If there is no sign of clinical impairment, but the amount of meds is significant, e.g., greater than 20 morphine equivalents per day, a No Safety Sensitive Duty restriction is issued. HR then discusses the issue with the job applicant. If the position is not SS, then all goes well. If the position is SS, the person is encouraged to work with their prescribing provider to reduce the dose(s).

I have never received a note from a prescriber saying that the drugs they prescribe could be impairing their patient, even if that person is a nuclear scientist or neurosurgeon. After all, if they are prescribing the drugs they must be safe. Right?

We occasionally request a letter from the prescriber to confirm that the dose the person reports is accurate, i.e., when a prescription is written as prn and they receive 120 per month, but swear that they only take it at bedtime/on weekends.

Stay safe, Stay healthy,
Ron

Ron Teichman, M.D., M.P.H., FACOEM, FACP
Division Medical Director
Banner Occupational Health and Wellness
1300 N. 12th Street, Suite 610
Phoenix, AZ 85006