[MCOH-EH] [External] Re: Off Hours Fitness For Duty

Winters, Tom (BIDMC - Occupational Health) twinters at bidmc.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 6 15:02:50 PST 2023

Charlie and Ron,
  You are referencing an impairment evaluation not a fitness for duty evaluation. There is some cross-over.
 Most important we all do these during the day, but off shift ED best resource, but need to contract with drug testing company to come on site and do breathalyzer and UDS if substance abuse is suspected after psych and neurologic causes ruled out.  This is our procedure at several Harvard teaching hospitals.
The hospital labs and ED's usually botch these UDS and alcohol tests and no COC if challenge.
   Tom Winters