[MCOH-EH] Illicit Drug use by patients/families

Tara Dockery tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com
Mon Feb 20 09:50:20 PST 2023

Jeremy, my experience in the past was we had a patient smoking marijuana in the hospital bed, brought in by the visitor. We told them that this was not allowed in the hospital facility because we follow the federal laws over state laws. We also let them know that the visitors were going to be restricted since they brought in the facility and that we did not allow any fire producing materials in the hospital (they lit the joint with a lighter) so that was an extra violation, and that all guests would need to check in with the  nurses desk in order to make sure this didn't happen.

there was a big fit about the "medical Marijuana card" but that is not for our state, and we told him the chances of his healing were better if he would not smoke and smoking cessation education was given. I believe as a result of this his visitor did not end up returning to visit  and the patient complied until their discharge.

I hope you have better luck with the situation at hand for your facility.

Tara Dockery