[MCOH-EH] USP-800 Forum Creation for Occ Health Specialty

Davis, Emily emily.beck at emoryhealthcare.org
Fri Oct 6 08:50:34 PDT 2023

Hello Occ Health Colleagues,

As the enforcement date of USP-800 quickly approaches (November 1st), our team is very interested in benchmarking like intuitions' approach to interpreting and operationalizing the medical surveillance component of these guidelines.

If you are interested in partnering with us in this effort, then please email emily.beck at emoryhealthcare.org<mailto:emily.beck at emoryhealthcare.org> and anna.mccord at emoryhealthcare.org<mailto:anna.mccord at emoryhealthcare.org> and we will send you a link to a survey.   We will collect data responses and create a synthesized report of our findings to share with those who participate.  We will de-identify responses by healthcare organization names, but rather group them by type of hospital (academic, community) and size.

Thank you for your engagement!

Emily

Background on USP 800 Medical Surveillance: Per United States Pharmacopeia, USP 800 "provides standards for safe handling of hazardous drugs to minimize the risk of exposure to healthcare personnel, patients, and the environment." USP General Chapter <800><https://www.usp.org/compounding/general-chapter-hazardous-drugs-handling-healthcare>

https://www.usp.org/compounding/general-chapter-hazardous-drugs-handling-healthcare

Medical surveillance requirements are outlined in the USP General Chapter <800> Hazardous Drugs - Handling in Healthcare Settings<https://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp/document/our-work/healthcare-quality-safety/general-chapter-800.pdf> and should include identification of employees handling hazardous drugs, completion of initial baseline assessment, and ongoing surveillance.

https://www.usp.org/sites/default/files/usp/document/our-work/healthcare-quality-safety/general-chapter-800.pdf

Goal of Benchmarking: Our goal is to poll our occupational health colleagues about how they are interpreting and operationalizing the USP 800 Guidelines that are taking effect November 1, 2023 at their healthcare facility.
Emily Davis, MSN, ANP-BC, COHN-S
Adult Nurse Practitioner
Senior Manager, Clinical Operations and Services
Occupational Health Services (OHS)
Emory Healthcare|Emory University
emily.beck at emoryhealthcare.org<mailto:emily.beck at emoryhealthcare.org>

[EmoryHealthcare-CMYK]