[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] Syphilis testing for BBF

Swift, Melanie D., M.D., MPH Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Tue Oct 24 08:57:31 PDT 2023

Hi Jakub, no we do not routinely test source patients for syphilis. While tertiary syphilis could be transmissible through a BBF exposure, not all stages would be considered a blood borne infection. Testing asymptomatic patients would then require clinical evaluation of each positive result to determine if this was an old, resolve or treated infection, primary syphilis, etc. So not as simple as an HIV, HBV or HCV antigen test for communicability as a BBP.

I’ve given PEP for a needle stick from a patient with tertiary syphilis, but the diagnosis was already made clinically by the source patient’s care team.

Melanie