[MCOH-EH] Marijuana legalization

Fung, Fred ffung at thezenith.com
Tue Nov 28 12:34:07 PST 2023

The newspaper article by Bruno Matarazzo on the ruling by Judge D'Andrea is on Summary Judgement. A complete ruling is attached for those who are interested in reading court decision.
It is neither on the merit of the dispute nor resolving testing/using state legalized marijuana. When federal issues are involved, state courts defer to federal jurisdiction so federal rules apply (marijuana remains Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act - federal law) so until US Congress changes the law (Act), even Federal Agency (DEA, FDA...) cannot unilaterally legally change the schedule (some federal agencies will try to do so administratively but effects are null).
Fortunately for the defendant employer in this case, summary judgement ruling is not appealable in most jurisdiction- not sure it is same in Connecticut. So, the plaintiff has lost legally.
Always consult the labor and employment attorney of your organization when drug testing issues arise. This will cause money and is time consuming.
Fred Fung, MD, JD, Esq.

DoNotEncrypt