[MCOH-EH] IV Chemotherapy and return to work

Swift, Melanie D., M.D., M.P.H. Swift.Melanie at mayo.edu
Tue Mar 19 06:29:34 PDT 2024

Hi Darryl, very interesting question. As a first step I would talk directly with the employee in question to clarify a few things as Kevin points out below.
The type of chemo and anticipated side effects matter as well as the schedule. Her oncologist will have prepared her for what to expect. Most SE appear in the 1 – 2 days following chemo. Some workers will schedule their chemo to precede a couple of days away from work (e.g. on a Friday afternoon if they work M-F). I’d want to be sure that she takes the time away from work she will need to feel well enough to be working. Trying to “power through” is not a good plan for anyone.

For most agents, toxic metabolites would be excreted in urine within 72 hrs. If she’s getting an agent that would still be getting excreted in urine while at work, there are some standard practices of double flushing and wiping down the seat. She should flush either with the lid down or while remaining seated (there may not be any lids in healthcare facility toilets). As Kevin notes, some chemo is excreted in sweat, but skin-to-skin contact with others should not be likely in the workplace. Here are some safety resources from the ACS about post-chemo safety including safety to others: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/managing-cancer/treatment-types/chemotherapy/chemotherapy-safety.html

Finally the rumor mill on her unit should be quelled. I’d recommend speaking with the manager to reassure them you’ve talked with the employee in question and ensured that her RTW plan is safe; and ask the manager to reassure any concerned coworkers and remind them of the need to respect the worker’s medical privacy.

Thanks,

Melanie